6 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of sugar
2 quarts of beef broth
1/2 cup brandy (optional)
1 french baguette, sliced and toasted
swiss cheese, either emmenthal or gruyere
1. Slice 4 large onions, using a tight, thin slice.
2. In a large dutch oven, add extra virgin olive oil to coat the pan and then add the onions. Cook them over medium heat for 12 minutes, until they're tender and golden.
3. Add brandy if you like and let the alcohol burn off.
4. Next add sugar and beef broth, cover and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
6. Ladle the soup into a bowl.
7. Place a slice of baguette on top.
8. Cover with shredded gruyere and place slices of emmenthal over.
9. Place the bowls on a baking pan and broil until the cheese is melted.